Right now I’m filling my make-up bag (cute patterned pink from Target) to leave at the gym so I don’t have to schlepp things back and forth and inevitably leave something needed behind! My friend Mel and I spent a lovely morning at Sephora on Friday, and it has made me do an audit of my makeup selection and although I’m trying to be a bit more adventurous this year, there are certain staples that I couldn’t live without! For a lot of these, I have to give credit to my friend Rachael Donaldson who amongst other things, is a stylist and took me makeup shopping when I was feeling dreadfully pregnant with my 3rd child – some of her suggestions are my faves! Thanks Rachael!
Also, I’m 37, so I think my main make-up priority is to look fresh, with a bit of a glow. That’s something that doesn’t happen my itself anymore! You’ll find that a lot of the items in my bag pay attention to that, and also, the whole kit and kaboodle HAS to take me 5 minutes or under…
– FACE: #1 must have: Urban Decay Surreal Skin Mineral Make-up. Makes me feel like I’ve been airbrushed. Takes seconds to apply. I carry a spare in my handbag. Always.
– LIPS: it comes a close second, but who could live without NARS Orgasm lip gloss? Yep, it’s all about the orgasm. It’s iconic, and always makes me look polished. The lip gloss, that is…
– CHEEKS: then we’re on to a selection of NARS “The Multiple” and surprisingly my favorite isn’t Orgasm, but actually South Beach. Granted I’ll use Orgasm by itself on a Sunday grocery trip, but I’m also a fan of Copacabana as a highlighter on the cheekbones and under the eyes. I think I got that tip from a supermodel in a magazine. The Multiple is a stick of cream that nobody should go without.
– while on the cheeks, yes, a dab of NARS Orgasm Blush over the South Beach gives it a great lift, and that dewy look I’m hankering after.
– EYES: Um, I haven’t slept for 7.5 years, so I need a little help in the eye department. Rachael taught me a great tip in using NARS (can you see I’m a fan?) Cosmic Girl Cream Shadow in the corner of my eyes, and I like to smear some over my lids before I apply another color.
– and eyelash curler does make a difference. Hell, I don’t know exactly what it does, but all I have to do is squeeze three times on each eye and at least I feel professional!
– and while we’re on the topic, MASCARA: I have bought every mascara ever made. For a while there I was addicted to Dior Show. And then we got a nanny whose eye makeup looked like Tammy Faye Baker, but man, were her lashes perfect. This girl would rock up at 7:30am to look after 3 kids and she’d be TV ready. Her secret? Growing up in a small town in Idaho with nothing to do, and Covergirl Volume Lash Blast. It’s an orange tube of mascara magic!
So I’m all set. I can’t wait to hit the gym tomorrow morning and be able to glam out afterwards…in under 5 minutes!